Regional Older Adult Facilities Mental Health Support Team (RAFT)
The RAFT program fills a vital community need for individuals who need assisted living or nursing home level care and are ready to be discharged from a state psychiatric hospital or are at risk of going to a state psychiatric hospital. RAFT is funded by a grant from the state of Virginia and a Federal Block Grant and is administered by Arlington County. The goal of the program is to allow individuals to live in the least restrictive environment possible in a location that is close to home and easily accessible for family and friends. RAFT provides these services:
- Multidisciplinary evaluation
- Comprehensive plans of care
- Case management and coordination with physicians and other agencies
- Regular medication monitoring and evaluation
- Individual, group and family therapy sessions
- 24 hour consultation to facilities and mental health training for staff
Who We Serve
Individuals 65 or older who meet these eligibility criteria:
- Have a diagnosis of serious mental illness or dementia with behavior problems
- Are residents of Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun Counties or the City of Alexandria.
- Are in need of assisted living or nursing home level care
- Have a history of psychiatric hospitalization or are at risk of hospitalization
How to Enroll
- Contact the RAFT Program at 703-228-1700 if you have questions about the program.
- Individuals must be referred by a Northern Virginia Community Services Board (CSB). Your CSB RAFT representative will schedule an assessment.
- Enrollment is based on meeting eligibility requirements and availability of space.
Contact Your Community Services Board (CSB)
Contact the Raft Program Director or your local CSB Representative for the RAFT program for more information.
RAFT Manager: Alice Straker
City of Alexandria: Rhonda Williams
Arlington County: Harry Ayling
Fairfax County: Kathi Robertson
Loudoun County: MaryJo Blair
Prince William County: Evelyn Hatfield